Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Crossover for 604-8K Query

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Crossover for 604-8K Query

    Hi,

    I noticed the push button used to select between HF attenuation and 2-band EQ sometimes have difficulty staying engaged in the depressed (i.e. 2-band EQ) position. Is there anyway to fix this?

    Also, if the button is at the extended (i.e. HF attenuation) position, does it mean that that is the factory default for the mid and high? i.e. you only vary the loudness of the HF vis-a-vis the LF.

    Is there a sequence to adjust the XO e.g. first adjust the HF attenuation vis-a-vis the LF, then adjust the mid and high freq using the 2-band EQ?

    I also noticed that even with the HF knob turned to max, the HF still sounds rolled off (I think its only about 15k). Is this normal?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover for 604-8K Query

    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    Hi,



    I also noticed that even with the HF knob turned to max, the HF still sounds rolled off (I think its only about 15k). Is this normal?

    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with 604-K . The HF attenuation knob should be at 0 for max . If you put it a 10 for example it will attenuate the HF.

    8


    I'll let someone else answer the rest.


    ....................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover for 604-8K Query

    Just scored these. Superb for near field listening. Now I understand why they were used as monitors. The imaging and air is outstanding, very palpable. I'll probably take out the XO to clean it later.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover for 604-8K Query

    Just scored these. I had VOTT A7/A5 before, but the Duplex images extremely well. Good for near field listening. You could almost "see" the performance.

    Actually in my earlier post, I meant to ask if I'm using the HF attenuator mode, is the Mantaray horn equalization circuit switched on ?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover for 604-8K Query

    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    Just scored these. I had VOTT A7/A5 before, but the Duplex images extremely well. Good for near field listening. You could almost "see" the performance.

    Actually in my earlier post, I meant to ask if I'm using the HF attenuator mode, is the Mantaray horn equalization circuit switched on ?

    Thanks
    In the EQ position the upper knob control's the high frequencies and the lower knob the mid frequencies.

    Just click on the tech note image on my first response to read the operating instructions to your XO model.

    These are excellent monitors . My 604 8G XO are inside the box for now since my grill does not come off. But mine is a completely different XO.

    Best would be to contact JEFF MARKWART

    http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/index.html

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover for 604-8K Query

    Thanks Licorne,

    Think I figured it out. As a HF attenuator, there is no equalization of the Mantaray Horn. The bottom knob only controls the loudness. So my preferred position should be in the 2-band EQ position.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover for 604-8K Query

    Just to give an update on the 604K/620. I was using it free standing and was not satisfied with the overall balance, while it images and does vocals well, it tends to sound lean with not enough bass volume and extension. I couldn't understand how ALTEC could spec it as 30Hz to 20KHz.

    Then I decided to place them against a wall after seeing how they are mounted in studios. Jackpot!! The sound is full and solid, and good bass articulation and punch. And the Optimum setting on the mid and high Lpads are spot on too with this placement, there is no need for further adjustment.

    Don't think I could get any sleep now...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.